Ten fun facts about Toronto
10/30/2017 12:00:00 AM
Toronto is a great place to study and work – but there’s more to it than a thriving city for businesses and students!
Here are ten of our favourite facts about North America’s fifth largest city.
1. You can hear over 180 different languages and dialects in Toronto, as more than a third of the people who live there speak a language other than English and French. You can see the multicultural nature of the city in areas like Little Italy, Little Portugal, and Chinatown, which often have dual language street signs.
2. Toronto is the fifth largest city in North America - it's only beaten by Mexico City, New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago.
3. Every year, Toronto holds the Peeks Toronto Caribbean Carnival - usually known as Caribana. It's the biggest street festival in North America and gets over a million visitors every year!
4. Toronto has an underground walkway called PATH, which is now the largest underground shopping complex. It also holds the world's largest underground sidewalk sale every year - so it's the perfect place to go to find something unique.
5. In 1975, one of Toronto's most famous landmarks was built: the CN Tower. Until 2007, it was the tallest freestanding structure in the world at 1815 feet.
6. The Rogers centre (previously known as the SkyDome) was the first stadium in the world with a retractable roof. You can find it in downtown Toronto and watch all kinds of sports matches there.
7. You can find Casa Loma in midtown Toronto: a gothic revival house which is now a museum. Lots of films have used this iconic building as a set, including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, X-Men, and Beauty and the Beast.
8. In Lake Ontario, you can find the Toronto Islands: a group of fifteen islands connected by bridges. It's the biggest car-free urban community in North America, and has a lot of things to do - including kayaking, boating, and a theatre.
9. About a quarter of Hollywood films are filmed in Toronto, making the city one of the most popular places for movie production.
10. You can enjoy 52 outdoor skating rinks in Toronto – one for every week of the year!
Want to experience Toronto for yourself? Find out what’s on offer at TSoM.