Fascinating Facts About Canada
Canada is a huge nation, full of great history and culture. Read our fun post to learn some great facts about this nation!
1) Canada has a total of 6 time zones! Being the second largest nation on the planet, it’s no wonder!
2) For 32 years, Ontario’s CN tower was the world’s tallest freestanding building. The communications tower was overtaken by the Burj Khalifa, UAE in 2007 and Canton tower, China. Despite this, it still plays a major role in the country’s tourism.
3) The country enjoys the world’s longest coastline, bordered by 3 oceans: Atlantic Ocean, Arctic, and Pacific.
4) Canada receives millions of letters from hopeful children around the world, listed for Santa Claus. Each letter receives a response from Mrs Santa Claus. Canada has claimed the address: Santa Claus, North Pole, H0H 0H0 and Canada’s government has declared Santa a Canadian citizen.
5) Hawaiian pizza was actually created by a Canadian, from Ontario: Sam Panopoulos. He said he was inspired by Chinese food, where sweet and savoury flavours are combined.
6) Although their American neighbours have their own spelling for English words, Canadians spell the majority of their words, the British English way.
7) Queen Elizabeth II is Canada’s official head of state. This is due to Canada being part of the commonwealth. The Commonwealth of Nations is a group made up of former British colonies and the Queen is the head of this group.
8) Canadians have invented: the snowmobile, insulin, kitchen cookers, and the IMAX film system.
9) Canada has the second largest oil reserves in the world, after Saudi Arabia
10) Canada is often considered to be one of the most educated countries in the world, with 42% of its population being degree-educated.
We hope you enjoyed reading through our list of fascinating facts! If you believe Canada is the ideal study location for you, visit our admissions page today.