Business administration courses have proven to be the pillars of a successful career in any industry. It’s considered a versatile line of study as it can help you frame a career in law, management, finance, as well as marketing. If you are planning to pursue a diploma in business administration, this article will help you weigh out your options and make an informed choice.
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION COURSE OVERVIEW
A diploma in business administration is usually a one-year program, which aims at equipping you with essential management skills that will help you in building a successful career. The course will help you to:
- Identify and analyze successful business tactics and techniques like managing marketing, finance, and strategies;
- Study in detail the fundamentals of administrative management;
- Gain practical business experience;
- Use critical thinking and communication skills to operate effectively as an individual as well as a team player;
- Develop skills that impact your workplace, in terms of understanding the relationship between businesses and customers or clients.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION COURSE?
The educational prerequisites for pursuing a diploma in business administration are:
- A secondary school diploma
- 18 years of age or above
- IELTS score of 5.5 or equivalent for non-native English speakers
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION COURSE CURRICULUM
Business administration courses are designed to introduce you to the fundamentals of business techniques and help you give an in-depth tour of the practical implications of a business. The business administration curriculum includes:
- Windows and MS Office: Windows and MS Office have aced the corporate world, ever since they came into being. The use of Windows and Office is inevitable even when it comes to the area of business; hence, this is an essential part of the syllabus.
- Business Environment: if you are planning to take up a course in business administration, being in a business environment is inevitable. Hence, it is necessary that you have an in-depth knowledge about the nooks and corners of the business dimension. The curriculum involves a detailed study of the market structure, and how it influences the business’ decision making.
- Financial Management: businesses deal with investment and many other monetary aspects throughout their tenure. As a result, it becomes imperative that the finances are effectively managed, in order to make profits out of the business.
- Economic Environment: the economic environment has a considerable impact on the business dynamics. It consists of the external economic factors that can make a stark difference in the way a business works.
- Organizational Behavior: a business runs on the shoulders of its employees and what they bring to the table, apart from the technical skills. Organizational behavior concerns the study of human behavior in an organizational setting. This is an important aspect of business administration as it impacts the functionality of a business.
- Marketing Management: marketing management is an essential ingredient for a successful business. Hence, it is important that it is a part of your curriculum. It involves understanding the concept and process of developing strategies and implementing them. Marketing management helps a business to reach the desired customers, using advertisements and promotions.
- Corporate Communications: one of the primary functions of a business is to interact and collaborate with customers and clients. This is where corporate communications comes into the picture. Internal as well as external communication is paramount in order for a business to be successful. Corporate communications involves managing all communications, with the aim of creating a positive influence on the stakeholders.
- Critical Thinking: critical thinking helps in making quick and apt decisions. Since businesses sometime require nick-of-the-time decisions, critical thinking proves to be a vital skill. The business administration curriculum includes critical thinking due to its prevalence in the business world.
- Project: any form of education is complete only after practical application of the knowledge gathered during the course. Hence, in order to successfully qualify for a diploma in a business administration course, you will be required to undertake a research project where you can apply your theoretical knowledge and research further.
WHY PURSUE A DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION?
A diploma in business administration is a great way to learn the skills and knowledge you need to be successful in business. Students can also learn everything they need to know about business, including finance, marketing, human resources, and operations management. Here are some advantageous features of a diploma in business management program:
- Industry-Relevant Skills: This program gives students a complete understanding of the principles and practices of business, which can be used in a wide range of fields.
- Globalized Business Environment: A diploma in business administration gives students the chance to learn about all aspects of business. This can be helpful for people who want to start their own business or take on leadership roles in their current organization.
- Networking: A diploma in business administration can help students meet and network with industry professionals and potential employers, which can be helpful for building a career in the business world.
- Entrepreneurship: A diploma in business administration can help students learn the skills they need to start and run a successful business, such as market research, financial forecasting, leadership, and marketing strategies.
- Opportunities for Work: With a diploma in business administration, you can work in many different business sectors, such as roles in management, finance, marketing, and human resources.
CAREER PROSPECTS IN BUSINESS ADMINISTARTION
A diploma in business administration introduces you to the world of career opportunities. The advantage of this course is that it allows you to choose from a wide range of roles and professions. Let’s walk you through the business administration careers list.
- Risk Management Consultant: every business works with a set of risks that are waiting to break free. It is essential that there are risk management strategies in play, for the business to be successful. The responsibility of a risk management consultant is to make sure that internal issues do not have a negative impact on the decision-making, stakeholders or the employees. If you are assuming the role of a risk management consultant in an organization, you will work to set operational standards and policies that minimize the risk and maintain the business performance.
- Program Manager: a program manager is responsible for overseeing team and business performance. As a program manager, you will be required to focus on strategies and their application. Many small projects contribute to make up for the overall business profit. The job role of a program manager involves developing and managing strategies for small projects that will eventually contribute to the business’ overall success.
- Administrative Officer: if you get recruited as an Administrative Officer, you will be the point of contact for all employees within the organization. You will also be responsible for providing administrative support and managing employees’ queries.
- Financial Planner: a Financial Planner is hired to organize the finances of an organization. In addition, financial planners take care of the savings and investments, and assist in financial decision-making in order to reach the desired goals and maximize profits.
- Sales Associate: the job role of a sales associate requires them to interact with customers, understand their needs and carry out a smooth sales process. Sales associates are in demand in all sectors and industries. In fact, sales associates get paid well, owing to the incentives they earn for carrying out successful sale transactions.
- Customer Service Representative: businesses become successful only if their customers are satisfied and happy with the products or services. A customer service representative interacts with customers on behalf of the organization. They interact with customers to give them information about services and products, take orders or to resolve complaints.
WHAT OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AFTER COMPLETING A DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION?
A diploma in business administration can lead to a variety of employment prospects in finance, marketing, human resources, and operations management. Graduates of this diploma program may be able to find entry-level jobs in administration, management, or business operations.
In addition, many people who have earned a diploma in Business Administration may decide to continue their education and earn a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a related field. This can give them access to an even wider variety of career opportunities in the future.
HOW MUCH DOES A BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION GRADUATE EARN?
In recent years, a Diploma in Business Administration has become a popular course to study. With more and more businesses surfacing, it is evident that business administration jobs are present but in abundance in the market. Owing to this, business administration professionals are paid well. According to PayScale, the average salary of a business administration personnel is about $47,000 per annum.
Though business administration jobs have taken a leap over the years, it is important that you pursue your degree from a reputed institute. This will help you rise above the competition and stand your ground.
- What does a business administrator do?
A business administrator is in charge of managing a company’s or organization’s daily operations. This can involve undertaking duties including personnel management, budgeting, developing and putting into practice policies and processes, and working with other departments and outside partners.
- Is it hard to study business administration?
The amount of difficulty in studying business administration might vary based on the individual and the program in which they are enrolled in. Courses such as accounting, economics, and marketing are some of the areas which can make the program extra challenging. Nonetheless, it is manageable with commitment and work.
- How popular is business administration?
Many schools and universities offer programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels in business administration, as it is a sought-after program. It is also a popular choice among students because it offers a diverse array of job opportunities in a variety of industries.
- Is business administration in demand?
A degree in business administration is in demand since it is a marketable skill that can be used to a wide variety of corporate settings. The development of e-commerce and globalization, as well as the ever-present necessity of efficient and effective corporate management, will also contribute to the rise in the demand for business administrators.
If you have made up your mind to pursue a diploma in business administration, Toronto School of Management (TSOM) is the place for you. We offer a Diploma in Business Administration Co-op course that will allow you to step into the world of business administration with a credible qualification in your hand.