Second Career is a program from the Ontario Government which supports workers (Canadian Permanent Residents and Canadian Citizens) who have lost their jobs.
If you qualify for this program, you’ll be able to:
- Get new training and qualifications that are in high demand
- Develop relevant skills
- Improve your employment chances
- Receive financial support
The TSoM programs which qualify for Second Career are:
- Diploma in Business Administration Co-op
- Diploma in Business Management Co-op
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management Co-op
- Advanced Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management Co-op
- Advanced Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Diploma in Fundamentals of Hospitality and Tourism Co-op
- Diploma in Data Analytics Co-op
How do I know if I qualify for Second Career?
You must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- You have been laid off and have not been working
- You have been laid off and are working a temporary job to cover costs
How do I apply?
You will need to provide the following:
- A period of unemployment and job search
- Positions and companies that you have applied to, including employers’ responses. Please also attach the résumé and cover letters sent with your job applications.
- Level of Education record
- Previous work experience (including company’s name, your position, period of employment, and the skills you gained there)
- A list of the skills you are planning to acquire and where you want to be trained
- Information about the job you are targeting and planning to get training for
If you meet the requirements for the Second Career program, you can receive up to $28,000 to cover expenses for:
- Manuals, workbooks, and/or other instructional costs
- Basic living allowance (maximum $410 per week)
Please note that you may be required to pay some of the above expenses. The amount will be determined based on your gross (before tax) household income.
For more information about this initiative or to book an appointment with an Employment Ontario Counselor to start your application process, please visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/second-career